Sunday, December 30, 2012

Workout Music?

         Why is making a fitness playlist so daggone hard? It has been scientifically proven that music can be a boon when working out - namely, fast and uptempo music can bolster motivation. I have found this to be true in my own life which is why my 'workout playlist' is full of ratchet music. Music has the effect of turning my exercise into swaggercise. Seriously, play a Rick Ross track (heavy rotation: "Hold Me Back") while I'm on the elliptical in the gym and watch the RPM skyrocket as well as me get my stank face on. Admittedly, being a boughetto black girl from Washington Heights - rap/hip hop is always going to be a part of my musical repertoire.

       However, being an eclectic music snob (that plays 4 instruments *horn toot*) there has to be more than just Ciara, Sasha Fierce, 2chains, and Rick Ross. So, I gots to thinkin': what makes a  good workout song? With a bit of empirical studying I have discerned that my main requirement is:

"I like my beats fast and my bass down low."

      I think the tempo affects my pace and the bass just gives it that power. This led to me downloading a playlist full of songs for my workout playlist and I must say that I am quite pleased with the results. To be real though, my playlist is still rather ratchet. As a fairly educated black chick, I'd probably be embarrassed if someone were to hear me bopping to this playlist outside of the gym because it is rife with "b*tches, money and all those fancy things". Rap, some dance and dubstep are the only genres that really meet my criteria. There is nothing I hate more than having to pause my workout to switch songs because it is too slow. Aint nobody tryna to work out to Ledisi, okay? There aint no stoppin' me now though...cuz um...these ninja's can't hold me back.

     If you were to take a gander at my google play library you would seriously scratch your head. It is literally an amalgam of almost every genre of music from jazz, rock and classical music, to dance, alternative, hip hop and pop music. I would say R&B, but it apparently has been phased out (ig: Ne-Yo's RED album).

1 comment:

  1. I could have written this. Especially, the part of being educated, listening to ratchet songs, hoping people won't notice.

    By the way, if you have some songs to recommend...
    :D

    ReplyDelete